August 11, 2011

Michelle East, Visual Artist Living with Glaucoma

Thank you to all of my dear sweet friends, family and clients. The out pouring of support and love you have given me during this time of learning how to live with glaucoma has been overwhelming. I can't thank you enough for your phone calls, emails and texts.


Continued prayer is always appreciated. 


I will try to keep everyone posted through this blog and maybe an occasional newsletter update.  


For an update - today has been hard on my eyes. I've had problems with my vision which I think has to do with the drops that I am taking not the actual glaucoma itself.  


My eyes could barely focus today and I had dizziness.  Tried wearing my glasses and not wearing my glasses.  Neither way helped so I had to stop everything and lay down with my eyes closed for a while.  Did I mention that I don't have time to lay down with my eyes closed during the middle of the day!  :) There's so much that I want to do with my art during the precious few hours that my children are at school. Sorry for the venting, I am feeling a bit frustrated today!


In researching the drug Lumigan that I am taking, I found out that side effects include increased eyelash growth and pigment changes in the iris and surrounding eye area. Then I read the following-

Additional ocular adverse events (reported in 1 to 10% of patients) with bimatoprost ophthalmic solutions included ocular dryness, visual disturbance, ocular burning, foreign body sensation, eye pain, pigmentation of the periocular skin, blepharitis, cataract, superficial punctate keratitis, eyelid erythema, ocular irritation, eyelash darkening, eye discharge, tearing, photophobia, allergic conjunctivitis, asthenopia, increases in iris pigmentation, conjunctival edema, conjunctival hemorrhage, and abnormal hair growth. Intraocular inflammation, reported as iritis was reported in less than 1% of patients.
Systemic adverse events reported in approximately 10% of patients with bimatoprost ophthalmic solutions were infections (primarily colds and upper respiratory tract infections). Other systemic adverse events (reported in 1 to 5% of patients) included headaches, abnormal liver function tests, and asthenia.


Take time to see the roses & look closely at your loved ones.
Memorize their sweet faces. 


Till next time,

No comments: