August 31, 2011

Michelle East, Award Winning Artist, Begins Ballet Class after 25 year absence?



Hi All-

Yes, you read the title correctly, I started ballet class today after 25 years off!  Ballet Memphis located off of Germantown Parkway and Trinity Road in Cordova, TN has a fabulous ballet program for professional dancers and the rest of us, young or old!   http://www.BalletMemphis.org

Most of you do not know that I danced through out high school, taking ballet, jazz and even a couple of tap classes.  I even had a ballet bar and a mirrored wall in my bedroom! You could say I was serious.  But then I graduated high school, started working and going to college & dance just faded into the distance.

So why now, 25 years later do I feel the desire to start dancing again?

Good question!

The answer is because I think it will make me a better artist.

A new project that I am currently working on involves the expression of dance & music on canvas.  I've been using auditory and visual means to immerse myself into the world of dance in order to translate my feelings of ballet using paint.  In order to feel what the dancers are feeling and to represent authentically and organically via paint & canvas, taking a ballet class was the only option for me.

More to come on this exciting project as it develops! I can't wait to share with you.

But for today, what a wonderful morning it was donning my new black leotard, pink tights and ballet slippers, after 25 years!
Cover of the new Ballet Memphis Program.  Love it!




Till next time,

No comments: