August 4, 2011

Michelle East, Visual Artist Diagnosed with Glaucoma at age 42

Today I sent out a newsletter to my friends, family and clients letting everyone know that I have been diagnosed with glaucoma.  I am 42 years old and never thought that I would be facing glaucoma at this age. Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness in the world. It comes on gradually and is sometimes called "Silent Thief of Sight".

The damage that glaucoma does to the optic nerve is related to increased pressure from the watery fluid that is naturally present in your eyeball.

Congenital glaucoma often runs in families (is hereditary).
  • It is present at birth
  • It results from the abnormal development of the fluid outflow channels in the eye


The goal of treatment is to reduce eye pressure. Depending on the type of glaucoma, this is done using medications or surgery. I am using drops LUMIGAN to reduce the fluid pressure in my eyes. It makes my eyes bloodshot and feel funny. Glaucoma is something that I will have to manage for the rest of my life.

I am a visual artist and the diagnosis of Glaucoma has been a shock. Today I have had an outpouring of emails and phone calls from friends and family showering me with positive thoughts and prayers.  Thank you my dear ones.

My new motto is
"Take time to "see" the roses."
because you never know when things you take for granted may not be there anymore.

In the coming months I'll update everyone on my progress and what glaucoma means.  It is all new to me and I am happy to share what I am learning. Our eyesight is so precious and I don't want to loose mine.  I have 3 beautiful children that I have to keep my eyes on!

Till tomorrow,

No comments: